Start your watch. I’m going to assume that you’re a football betting novice who wants to understand NFL football spreads. You’re in luck. Understanding NFL football odds is a piece of cake with the right instruction.
Want to know a secret? Most sports bettors think that NFL football spreads are predictors of outcomes. For instance, if they see that the New England Patriots are favored by 14 over the Indianapolis Colts, they think that this means that the Patriots should win by 14.
That’s not what the NFL betting line means at all. I’ll tell you what it means-and why those who know make more money betting on the NFL than those who don’t.
NFL Football Lines Example
Here’s an example football line that you’ll see at any sportsbook you visit.
Dallas Cowboys – 15 (44)
So what the heck does this mean? Okay, let’s make you an NFL football line guru in 5 steps.
1. The bottom team is the home team. This game is being played at dallas.
2. The team with the minus sign is the favorite (Dallas in this case). Bet on them and you’re “laying” points. จีคลับ
3. The team with either no points listed or with a plus sign (+15 for example) is the underdog. Bet on them and your “getting” points.
4. If you bet on the favorite (Dallas), that team must win by more than the points listed for you to win your bet. In this case, Dallas must win by 16 or more. If it’s a tie (15), you push-get your money back.
5. If you bet on the underdog (Giants), that team can either win the game or lose by up to the number of points your have. In this case, if the Giants win or lose by 14 or fewer points, you win the bet. If the Giants lose by 15, you push-money back. And if the Giants lose by 16+, you lose your bet.
And that’s all there is to NFL football spreads. As you can see, it’s very easy. Many beginner sports bettors tend to make reading NFL betting lines more complicated than they need to be. Now, picking football winners, that’s another story.